NERDTORIOUS.com

Confessions of a Beat Junkie: Prince Paul
10/18/2009, 5:25 AM
Filed under: Tunes | Tags: , ,

paul 1 (2)

We’re huge fans of Prince Paul. So naturally, we were geeked to get our hands on Confessions Of A Beat Junkie, a promo tape Tommy Boy put out in ’97. The 35-minute blend of b-sides, unreleased stuff, famous works, and many skits don’t disappoint—especially if you’re familiar with Paul’s work. Not much info exists, so I wrote Paul and asked him to introduce the tape for us. Here’s his response:

Thanks, I’m glad you enjoyed the tape. I made this for Tommy Boy as a promo item in the late ’90s to reintroduce myself to the public. It was to launch off the reissue of Psychoanalysis and a new project, A Prince Among Thieves. I just wanted to make something different from the old traditional mixtape that was out at the time. I had my friends and mom do little intro pieces to the songs.

I wanted to make it appear like I was this elusive, eclectic guy, and they were describing my work to those who weren’t familiar with me. The photo [on the back] is a picture of my son when he was about 3 or 4. He was always facinated with the turntables now he’s a DJ himself at 17. I put a lot of work into that tape, I’m glad that it’s still being enjoyed. Thanks again.

Hear Confessions Of A Beat Junkie…

***DOWNLOAD CONFESSIONS OF A BEAT JUNKIE!

paul 2 (3)

Also check out Stacy Gueraseva’s recent write-up on Psychoanalysis. Word to Cutso for the tape! Thanks to Paul for his time and amazing work!

Advertisements

13 Comments so far

Another dope post!!

B

Comment by blax

David: Frickin’ excellent. I vaguely remember having this from BITD but it’s been years since I bothered to peep.

Comment by OW

[…] recently for an upcoming short piece on their new album, Montezuma’s Revenge, produced by Prince Paul. Here are some quick outtakes from that recent interview, for Hiero fans, and cats that remember […]

Pingback by Pre ‘93 Til Now: Tajai Outtakes « NERDTORIOUS.com

great post.

i took the front and back pictures and made them into one square cover if anyone wants it http://i40.tinypic.com/ery5au.jpg

Comment by charlie bucket

I read your blog all the time. I check it on a regular basis. Then I think of my blog and how your life seems so much more ecxiting than mine. Keep writing! I will comment more. Usually I just laugh or cry right along with you!Love, Bonnie

Comment by Ida

in one of my previous blog posts, Longwood is the place for opitnourpty. Students can come here and literally do exactly what they want to do in life right away. If you are interested in doing something, then you can do it. There is no waiting list at Longwood. The Comm. Studies dept. is constantly growing and gaining recognition throughout the campus and the community. The small class sizes allow for better teacher-student relationships and the faculty here always make themselves available to help their students succeed at whatever it is they want to do. I could go on and on about why Longwood stacks up against the competition. So if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Thanks!

Comment by Judy

I really couldn’t ask for more from this article.

Comment by insurance card blue

[…] > Download here […]

Pingback by CONFESSIONS OF A BEAT JUNKIE exhumed by PRINCE PAUL « Radiochantier

It is my great pleasure to visit your website.

Comment by crystal beads

Thanks very much your sharing

Comment by hotfix rhinestones

I am interested in your site,thanks.

Comment by crystal rhinestones

Thanks for the information, I think it was really useful for me.

Comment by resin flower

[…] of a Beat Junkie: I found this rare Prince Paul mixtape over at Nerdtorious.com Text below taken from that site:We’re huge fans of Prince Paul. So naturally, we were geeked to […]

Pingback by Rusty Redenbacher